Ohio College Teaching Consortium Events
After you attend a live event or view an on-demand event, please complete a post-event report.
Please Note: Only events in the Inclusive Teaching category count toward the Inclusive Teaching Endorsement.
- This event has passed.
From Debate to Dialogue: Conversation Strategies for Building Connection Across Difference
September 18 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Partner: The Ohio State University
- Sep 18, 2023 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Sep 20, 2023 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Registration Link: https://osu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJErdOisqzgvHt0u4Dl6xeBWQCen1O_xzGY1
This 2-day training opportunity, presented by Strategic Diversity Planning, Training and Assessment, The Drake Institute for Teaching and Learning, and American University, takes place on September 18 and 20, 2023 from 1 – 4 pm. The training explores strategies to facilitate communication and understanding across differences in identity, perspective and experience. Training participants will learn to apply essential skills necessary to building affirming dialogue in the workplace and classroom. Registration is on a first come, first serve basis and is open to all university employees.
- Reflect on the role debate and dialogue play in difficult conversations.
- Differentiate between dialogue and debate.
- Build dialogic skills to increase collaborative understanding.
- Practice utilizing dialogic skills for de-escalation.
- Identify their boundaries, and practice ending a harmful discussion.
- Create an action plan for generating dialogue in their workplace or classroom.
Session Contact: Tiffany Hines, email@example.com